Tuesday, June 15, 2010

L'Aquila Receives Aftershocks on June 10

I departed from L'Aquila to Rome on June 10, 2010 around 2:30 in the afternoon with Anna Tozzi of the University's International Office. On Friday, June 11, I met in Rome with Professor Margherita Mori. She informed me that after my departure from L'Aquila there was a series of shocks in the area. This is the list of earthquake activity since I departed:
June 10, 3:35 pm, magnitudo 2.3
June 12, 10:24 am, mag. 2
June 12, 10:31 am, mag. 2.1
June 14, 9:40 am, mag. 2.5
The website to get further information is: http://cnt.rm.ingv.it/earthquakes_list.php
INGV is the Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia.
I called several of my new friends in L'Aquila to express my concerns. They appeared to be taking it in stride. My prayers are with them that these small shocks will be all that they experience. This reminded me of the fear after Katrina of future hurricanes hitting the area. The population in L'Aquila is returning and working to rebuild houses and their lives. I certainly hope that they will not be hit again.

No comments:

Post a Comment